Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You say Tomato, I say Salmonella

"CHICAGO (AP) — McDonald's, Wal-Mart and other U.S. chains have halted sales of some raw tomatoes as federal health officials work to trace the source of a multistate salmonella food poisoning outbreak." Read Story Here

Ok first I wanted to just this is just sad. :( I Love tomatoes and I always cook with them - I usually make salsa and tacos. Now the removal of them at restaurants, means it must be really serious. I hope that they are at least investigating where the outbreak of salmonella and which farmer this had started from.

In the meantime, I have to look for tomato alternatives in my cooking. So far I am looking into Mexican Chiles (such as sauce used in Mole etc..I love Mole!) or tomatillos (green tomatoes), frozen tomatoes, tomato paste, or anything else that may work. So far I may do a couple of those things listed above. Plus you can also grow your own or buy organic tomatoes, which we may do also. So maybe its not a complete loss...I hope this goes away in a couple of months.

I also wanted to add this is not good with the economy in bad shape - besides rising cost of food and gas, people are trying to find the best means to live. A lot have even looking into alternative options like SPAM. (see post below)

Till the outbreak is over you may as well just wait it out and use alternatives.

No comments: